Monday, December 14, 2015

AdventWord: Accept

I've run out of reflective depths today (not sure that the remaining words in the list will get an illustration at all - they don't seem to be inspiring me unduly)....so I thought I would share something delightfully silly...

A very special elderly lady in the Cathedral congregation accosted me yesterday and gave me a plastic bag..
"I got this for my new great-granddaughter - but somehow it's not QUITE right for her. It does squeak though. Can you thnk of anyone who might like it?"

So I opened the bag - to see .........



"Ah yes" I said, accepting with gratitude "I can think of someone who would really REALLY love this"
And I can.
My own delightful Willow pup.
It is most definitely a dog toy - the clue is in those ropey legs.
However, slumped on my desk, it also represents the spirit of exhausted clergy, trying to remain cheery in the face of ordeal by mince-pie.

As a matter of fact, it's not the first time that I've benefited from a mistaken understanding of what a gift MIGHT be for.
As a small child, my godmother gave me a wonderful toy - a plastic ball on a length of thin elastic.
It had, she said, come free with a bottle of loo cleaner.
Only years later did I realise that it had been intended to help shift limescale.
It didn't matter. It was tremendous fun to a 5 year old :) 
ACCEPT gifts in the spirit in which they are intended, say I.

1 comment:

jo(e) said...

Ha! I love that. I don't know if I would have figured out it was a dog toy. I've always had cats instead of dogs.