Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Wise and helpful words

The splendid Fr Simon of Blessed fame wrote about an All Saints celebration that will surely have had the cloud of witnesses singing in excited fortissimo
Unsurprisingly, reading about all this creativity made me long for the St M's youth group and an environment in which it felt possible to try multi media worship...I think it may be a while before I can offer that sort of thing here, even if I persuade the Dufflepud that he wants to dabble in techie pleasures as his brother has done before. The Peace Mass we offered for Remembrance Sunday evening last year feels very remote in some ways, as the demands of British Legion services, colour parties and all loom large.

But what made me really really excited was his brief summary of reactions to the Mass for All Saints that he had offered
Listen to this
"“As usual, Blesséd invokes the usual response - outrage and offense from some, enthusiasm and encouragement for others, inspiration to continue and for the majority - complete confusion and mystery. Such is what the Mass should be about”

Isn't that great? And liberating too....
Outrage, confusion and mystery are fine.
We don't have to hope or expect to please everyone all the time, nor do we have to offer neatly packaged, cling-filmed answers.
For various reasons, that was something I needed to hear today - so I thought I would share it in case I'm not alone.
Thank you, Fr Simon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, thank you for your kind words.

The link is broken, it should be:

http://frsimon.wordpress.com/2008/11/04/all-saints-weekend-or-one-more-chorus-of-for-all-the-saints/